The Power to build a Community (22 Nov 2019)

Do you wish to set up a STEM club? Maybe you have an idea for a professional discussion group or maybe you want to collaborate better with the members of your Area Technician group. Then why not check out the TecHKnow GROUPS area now. We give you the power of TecHKnow in your hands to manage your personal GROUP. Check it out now by clicking on the main menu.

Question Cheap burettes

6 months 2 weeks ago #41607 by AndyG
A fair while ago I saw an advert for very cheap 'sale' burettes from one of the well known suppliers. Were they out of calibration? Badly moulded? Leaky? Don't know, I'll take the chance and buy 40. They arrived with Rotaflo style plastic taps, looked the part and appeared fine for lower school stuff. One or two were cracked at the valve so annealing wasn't the best, and one or two had bad printing but these were only £2.80 each - bargain! :)
They have sat in a drawer awaiting their summons. Three classes running concurrently and rapid A level turnaround required, we need more burettes! Their moment had come!
The cheap burettes were only given to lower school so calibration wouldn't be an issue, what could go wrong?
Well ...
The students broke three - they cranked up the rotalow and broke off the end of the burette. Note to self - never buy rotaflow type burettes as students are ham fisted.
Surprisingly the rest worked fine ...
Back to the prep room and they needed washing through so they were put in some water to to rinse ... and, somewhat surprisingly for a burette, all the markings floated off. Doh! :bang
They are now clean as a whistle but absolutely clear, devoid of any markings whatsoever ... they are ex-burettes, bereft of buretty-life, as useful as a dead parrot ...
Great for running water against a static rod but little else.
Anyone who has other ideas for tubes with a valve at the end are welcome to post here ...

I should have known as I was stung once before by the supplier and literally got abuse from the manager when I complained. So the moral is, if it looks cheap from ***-****, don't buy it!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 months 2 weeks ago #41614 by Leigh Preece

AndyG wrote: .....They are now clean as a whistle but absolutely clear, devoid of any markings whatsoever ...

I've had this with a brand of Boiling Tube where, after a whirl in the dishwasher, the white brand label vanished.

Not useful.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Albert Einstein

5 months 2 weeks ago #41653 by prometheus
We run this practical where we have a long sealed tube with iron wool inserted into the closed end. The whole tube is inverted with the open end in a beaker of water.

The wool rusts and the water enters the tube to replace the oxygen used up in rusting.

You could use these burettes for this I guess

5 months 2 weeks ago #41660 by BioBee
That sucks! I am quite amused to think about the markings floating off like the decals on a model aircraft though haha.

One could make a large Potometer with them perhaps?

Moderators: DampSquibTecHKnowD.B.FergusonTheOtherSeamusBaldilocks