Do you wish to publish a news article on TecHKnow?

If you are aware of fantastic technician news or perhaps want to bring something of importance to the attention of your professional colleagues or maybe you want to advertise a free event or service to our community.

Registered Science Technician Status

5 months 3 weeks ago #42021 by Leigh Preece
  • Leigh Preece

• Elite Member
  • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 83
  • Registered Science Technician Status was created by Leigh Preece
    Hi everyone

Has anyone here gained Registered Science Technician status?

If so - how did you go about it and can you offer any advice as I'm thinking of pursuing it myself either via the ASE or RSChem.

All responses appreciated.

Leigh....

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #42022 by TecHKnow
    • TecHKnow

• Admin
    • Admin

• Thank you received: 368
  • Replied by TecHKnow on topic Registered Science Technician Status
    All the detail are here . Good luck with your application
    Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by TecHKnow.

5 months 3 weeks ago #42023 by Kasey
    • Kasey

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

• Thank you received: 138
  • Replied by Kasey on topic Registered Science Technician Status
    I've been a RSciTech for 4 years now.
    No pay rise, little recognition outside the department.
    BUT, my HOD is very proud of the fact and puts it on every dept. overview. 
    It was one of the first things she mentioned when introducing prospective teachers.
    We had a teacher first, and her mentor was over joyed that I was RSciTech and told my TF to take notice of me as 'she knows a lot!'

I actually became RSciTech because I was getting a yr 10 pupil on work experience and wanted to give some weight to the booklet he took back with him - a little pride I guess.
    It was hard at first, but once you know what they're asking for you realise you do most things every day. The word limits are good because that gives you an idea of how much they're looking for, I had to cut some of mine down to fit.
    I had great support from my then HOD who supported my application, somuch so that they didn't come back to me to expand on what I'd written.
    I did mine through the ASE (would have loved IOT, but they were more expensive) and last year the school paid for the membership as it's on my Performance Management.

5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #42026 by TecHKnow
    • TecHKnow

• Admin
    • Admin

I totally support any Technican who decides to pursue to obtain the Registered Science Techniian Status. I totally understand that it gives recognisition to those who successfully achieve the status as being a Professional technician. I have nothing but total acceptance that it is a status that all younger technicians should aspire to.....BUT (and you just knew there was a but coming);

It is/was not for me. Why?

I came into the profession 28 years ago with my qualifcations (HND Physical Science) and those qualifications officially described me back then as;

"..... someone having a good, thorough understanding of the particular skills essential to perform the role rather than the theoretical ones— which are usually taught in degrees"

So I considered myself "competent" and "professional" when I started on 20 September 1993.

In subsequent years, I jumped through various hoops as the Government of the day told me that if you follow this route of study, or achieve recognition for that mode of training, you will be regarded as being "competent" and "professional" in doing your job.

So I continued to recognise myself as such. I even went and did a three year Business management degree with the Chartered Management Institute and, shortly afterwards, a NVQ Level 3 in Occupational health and Safety. So I think, taking a holistic view here - I am a Professional Senior Science Technican.  I do not need to have a piece of paper or be on any register to prove that.

Jumping foward to today. There a new set of hoops which has been established. While I was completing the rather complex application form to attain the RSCitech Status I continually though to myself, why?

Everybody in my College knows and accepts who I am. Its very unlikely at 57 years of age that i will move across to any other areas of Science (this is my retirement job) and my peers and employers all recognise me as a Professional in every way. I even have a nice certificate on the wall from the Salters National Awards for Science technician (2009) saying as much!. So nothing has really changed across those years.

Which takes me back to my original opening point. Please do not be disuaded from applying. Indeed, I would strongly encourage any technician who feels that they need to achieve RSCiTech Status for any reason whatsoever to do so. 

It just was not for me!
    Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by TecHKnow.

5 months 3 weeks ago #42027 by Kasey
    • Kasey

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

I totally support TecHKnow's position, it's not for everyone.
    I too jumped though hoops as they came along thinking it would give me recognition.
    This is my retirement job too and that was my last 'hoop.'

The following user(s) said Thank You: TecHKnow

5 months 3 weeks ago #42029 by Annie
    • Annie

• Elite Member
    • Elite Member

• Thank you received: 161
  • Replied by Annie on topic Registered Science Technician Status
    By the time this idea came about I’d been a technician for a looong time, having started as a junior technician in university labs and trained for 3 years to attain full technician status.
    Fast forward 3 decades and by then a senior (in more ways than one!) and this new initiative is suggested. But by then I was much closer to retirement than to any chance of benefitting from any possible recognition from this award so I decided it simply wasn’t worth the effort nor possible stress.
    However, like TecHKnow, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from applying if they thought there was benefit in it for them. There just wasn’t was for me.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TecHKnow

4 months 6 days ago #42053 by Kasey
    • Kasey

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

Just a quick question:- how many registered science technicians are there?

4 months 6 days ago #42056 by TecHKnow
    • TecHKnow

• Admin
    • Admin

Just a quick question:- how many registered science technicians are there?

If you contact Wilson Agnew (User name Robotec) here on TecHKnow he should be able to give you a reasonable ide. 

Moderators: DampSquibTecHKnowD.B.FergusonTheOtherSeamusBaldilocks