Do you wish to publish a news article on TecHKnow?

If you are aware of fantastic technician news or perhaps want to bring something of importance to the attention of your professional colleagues or maybe you want to advertise a free event or service to our community.

lbs, oz and g

1 month 5 days ago #42134 by TecHKnow
  • TecHKnow

• Admin
  • Admin

• Thank you received: 368
  • lbs, oz and g was created by TecHKnow
    Is it conceivable that barmy Boris could be moving UK back to Imperial measurements? Your thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 days ago #42135 by D.B.Ferguson
    • D.B.Ferguson

• Admin
    • Admin

• Thank you received: 388
  • Replied by D.B.Ferguson on topic lbs, oz and g
    Still happy with pints and miles - even gallons (really miles per gallon) but it depends on the situation. Just hope things don't go back to £,s and d (as I had to deal with growing up). Later, joining the "common market " meant that older folk had to deal with the "simpler" system-they largely managed  -I am sure, if necessary we could do it again. I don't think it will ever come to that. Some items could be sold in oz as easily as, say, 227g as it is now.
    Fortunately things changed from cgs to mKsA for physics just before "O" levels. However, I have had to convert from units like slugs and poundals.. It is a lot easier with the internet. Plus you don't need to know how many rods in a perch.

One of my old teacher's definition of a centimeter " a unit that is exactly 2.54 times too small to be practicable"

Technicians: providing solutions and more.

David Ferguson B.Sc.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TecHKnow

4 weeks 1 day ago #42136 by Doolally
    • Doolally

• Premium Member
    • Premium Member

• Thank you received: 14
  • Replied by Doolally on topic lbs, oz and g
    Yeah, I'm about the same. Notice from my quick scan of the internet that everyone has conveniently ignored the fact that road signs have always been in miles and beer and milk are still being sold in pints.Can't imagine we'll return to the old currency, I remember it happening before but only because some of the coins were interesting and I missed them as a child. In secondary school I had a Maths teacher who refused to acknowledge the metric system, dug out an old batch of text books and we did questions on all the weird and wonderful multitude of measurements that make pounds and ounces look like the simplest system ever
    The following user(s) said Thank You: TecHKnow

4 weeks 14 hours ago - 4 weeks 14 hours ago #42138 by prep_room_boy
    • prep_room_boy

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

• Thank you received: 153
  • Replied by prep_room_boy on topic lbs, oz and g
    Tee Hee Hee!!! I can see you "Thrupenny Bits". 

Outside of work I still work in Imperial, even down to Grains for smaller weights.

Metric is a lot easier for everyday use with the uneducated youth of today though.

Can't we just learn to use both?

P.S. I still use a Fistmel as a measurement every week.

Last edit: 4 weeks 14 hours ago by prep_room_boy.

4 weeks 12 hours ago #42139 by DampSquib
    • DampSquib

• Thank you received: 130
  • Replied by DampSquib on topic lbs, oz and g
    Nooo!  I like most metric.  My husband still uses inches (well the fractions of) and mpg in the car, Keep miles and pints, but otherwise keep metric.  

3 weeks 6 days ago #42140 by AndyG
    • AndyG

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

• Thank you received: 380
  • Replied by AndyG on topic lbs, oz and g
    Rubbish really - the allowance in law to sell in imperial measurements is not the same as actually doing it. Just imagine how many grocers will pay to have scales calibrated in both metric and imperial (they will have to both be verified) when it costs enough for the one calibration procedure!
    We have never been fully metric anyway, mpg and miles as noted above but what about :
    Road signs with yards or fractions of miles to the next junction/obstruction?
    Then there's time which is only decimal for seconds and fractions thereof ...
    At least angles are metric with degrees but imperial for smaller fractions with minutes and seconds (esp in astronomy).
    How many people have noticed the tyre sizes on their cars? The "R" in 205R16 precedes the the diameter of the bead in inches - although for consistency the 225 is the tread width in millimetres.
    If I buy standard size steel it's metric but steel pipe and aluminium stock are imperial ... unless they're metric.
    And next time you contemplate a speeding ticket, note the offence in miles per hour which may be shown as occurring at a latitude/longitude which is shown in metric ... unless it isn't ...
    Doh!

3 weeks 6 days ago #42141 by AndyG
    • AndyG

• Platinum Member
    • Platinum Member

• Thank you received: 380
  • Replied by AndyG on topic lbs, oz and g
    Oh and the other day I learned how easy it is to add up in roman numerals ... I doubt this Arabic numerals thing will ever catch on.  

2 weeks 1 day ago #42146 by Baldilocks
    • Baldilocks

• Thank you received: 564
  • Replied by Baldilocks on topic lbs, oz and g
    To me, the only issue is when you need to convert. I have a good 'feel' for miles, pounds and pints, and these stand alone. If I regularly had to change units - 41 ounces into pounds? 8235 yards into miles? 97fl oz into US Gallons? Thats when my hackles go up.
    We are all used to quantities that we are used to (tautology intended) which may be a 'proper' unit or not - a cup of tea, a sheet of A4, a bag of chips, a bit of a trek, a while, a few miles, a couple of pounds. We know what they mean but we accept that they are not precise and that no precision is intended.
    I am not going to lose any sleep if beer glasses are called 'Pint' whether they are 20fl oz, 500ml (sensible metric equivalent in my view), 563ml (UK pint) or 473 (US pint).

It's worth noting that Imperial falls over badly at the top and bottom ends. The smallest length measurement is the inch so engineers work in fractions of it - and so do many school rules still have 1/4", 1/8" etc down to 1/32", but also sometimes 1/10". That's fine for specifying sheet thicknesses, wires or drills, but to actually measure them you have to use a micrometer which measures in thou, or thousanths of an inch (which sounds a bit metric to me!) then all you have to do is convert that to fractional measure - huw much is 578 thou? Is it closer to 9/16" or 19/32"?
    Then there is medicine! The smallest weight is the grain, conveniently defined as 1/7000 of a pound! That's a tad (sorry) under 65mg, rather brutish as a measure for medications - ibuprofen 3 grains per tab, but one grain of levothyroxine is enough for about 2600 doses. Blood concentrations of hormones are frequently given in pg/ml - anyone fancy converting the resting level of estradiol of 50pg/ml into imperial?
    Ian

Moderators: TheOtherSeamusTecHKnowD.B.FergusonDampSquibBaldilocks