Getting Involved with TecHKnow Wiki
“If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the precipitate”
Helping to keep a wiki up to date is easier than you may think. If you can understand how to create a forum posts, you should be able to figure out how to create a wiki page without too much trouble. One of the fears some new contributors have is that they will mess up the page or that they'll make a change which many disagree with. This isn't a problem, changes can be easily reverted and as long as you put a bit of thought into your changes, nobody will complain. Always remember to take advantage of the "show preview" button when editing and review your changes, to verify your changes before saving them.
Sources of help and learning how to edit
OK, editing a wiki page isn't always a simple task, but don't worry, there are many sources of help for you to turn to.
- The Wikipedia help page contains very comprehensive documentation for wiki editing. Sections of interest there would be the getting started page, or the editing Wikipedia page.
- The Wikipedia cheatsheet contains a summary of the markup used while editing pages.
- The discussion pages (every wiki page has it's own discussion page) can be used to ask for help or feedback. If you want, you could even post a rough draft of what you want to add to the page so others can review it before you add it. The discussion page can be found by clicking the "discussion" tab on the top of the page.
- Also, you can always look at the source of another wiki page to use as an example.
Some basic guidelines to keep in mind when you create new pages
- Check that your wiki page or article has not been created by somebody else. Use the Search facility on the forums!
- Add links of keywords (easier to jump to other pages for further details)
- Add your article if possible to an existing Category. If you can't or none is available, dont worry. We'll sort that out for you.
What needs to be done?
So, you feel confident enough to edit a page and make updates to it? Great! A good place to look for tasks which need to be completed is the Wiki TODO page. Feel free to contribute anything you feel is useful, even if it isn't on the To-Do list.
You may find it easier to start with small changes. What may also be a good idea is simply reading the wiki and updating things which seem out of date or incorrect. Fixing spelling mistakes, errors in grammar, or rewriting sentences to make them read nicer can also be good tasks to start with. We certainly appreciate your help while doing this!
If you find any spam pages then let us know so that we can remove it.